Balloon links

A warning

Order book

About the balloons


This US Navy photo shows a Japanese balloon that had failed to detonate after landing on U.S. soil and was later reinflated to better examine how it worked. Though made of paper, the balloons were surprisingly sturdy. After the war, the U.S. government relaunched a captured balloon--a balloon that had already weathered one ocean crossing--to see how far it would travel. They finally caught up with it in Africa.




This balloon was found largely intact after it crashed on the Cheyenne River Agency in South Dakota. (From the National Archives, ARC Identifier: 285217.)


There really were such balloons. (If you're asking, "what balloons?" then head back to "about the book".)

Shortly after New Year's Day, 1945, the United States' Office of Censorship issued an unusual and urgent bulletin: media outlets were requested to report absolutely nothing about the strange flying objects that had begun to appear through the western United States in the past two months.

What may strike people today as even more unusual is that this request was universally obeyed. Despite the fact that strange flying objects--in fact, bomb-laden Japanese paper balloons--were then landing daily throughout much of the United States and Canada, the nation's press stayed mum.

Even though the gag was removed several months later--when censorship was revealed to have a tragic cost--little was ever reported about the balloons, then or since.

As it happens, this is just what the balloons' designers originally intended.

The balloons were loaded with bombs, but their main purpose was to cause panic. Made primarily of paper and filled with hydrogen, they were designed to explode on impact and destroy all evidence of their existence in the process. Americans would be left with a raging forest fire--which would consume valuable timber stock and require precious manpower to control it--and no idea how it started. That was the plan, anyway.

What actually happened is that many of the balloons were lost at sea, and many of those that made it to North America failed to detonate upon impact.  (Though they were supposed to be hair-trigger responsive, some inexplicably weren't; there's even a story of a sheriff who leapt after a low-flying balloon, caught it, and then hung on as it continued to sail across the landscape for quite a while.)

The sleuthing began soon after the balloons began arriving: where had they come from? There was little doubt that they were Japanese: little effort had been made to disguise their identity, since it was assumed they would explode. But U.S. authorities couldn't believe at first that they'd come all the way from Japan; their first guess (however improbable) was that they'd been launched from an internment or POW camp somewhere in the western U.S. It was only when government geologists later examined the sand used for ballast--a story well told in a January, 1996 New Yorker article by John McPhee--that they determined the balloons were coming from Japan.

Japan's military had been experimenting with the concept for years. The army and navy, in fact, had dueling prototypes--the navy's was made of rubberized silk, and the army's was paper. In the end, the army won out. Constructing the balloons required a vast workforce, spread across factories, classrooms, and even opera houses (a cavernous space was required to assemble the balloons).

The first balloon took off in November of 1944. Winter is a good season for flying from west to east, thanks to the jet stream, but not a great season for starting fires, since the forests are wet with rain and snow. Nevertheless, the Japanese pressed ahead with the program, sending more and more balloons aloft.

They anxiously awaited word of the destruction their balloons had wrought, but none came. The censorship ban in the United States held; lacking evidence that the balloons were reaching their targets, the Japanese military was forced to abandon the program.

Of course many balloons did reach their targets. Almost 300 landings were documented throughout Canada, Mexico, and the United States, including as far east as Farmington, Michigan--just 15 miles outside of Detroit, and about 6,400 miles from its launch site in Japan.

In the United States, diverse resources were deployed against the balloons. Planes regularly flew air patrols, and the 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion, or "Triple Nickels"--the nation's first all-black parachute infantry test platoon, company, and battalion--was deployed to parachute into Northwest forests and fight fires. (It was brutal duty: parachuting into heavily forested wilderness with little more than football helmets fitted with wire masks to protect them. Men broke arms, legs; some died.)

Curiously, one balloon came close to having a very large impact on the war. It was the only balloon to ever cause any property damage, and though the damage was slight, it could have been disastrous. In Washington state in March, 1945, a balloon sailed into power lines between Bonneville and Grand Coulee, which caused the power to fail at a top secret installation in Hanford. Fortunately, automatic safety mechanisms--previously untested--leapt into action, disaster was averted, and the plant soon went back to work, producing materials for the atomic bombs that would later be used against Japan.

  • For a detailed description of the balloons, consult the novel excerpt.
  • For more about the only balloon that took American lives--and to prevent any further deaths--consult this site's warning.


Banner photo: detail from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/Department of Commerce hurricane photo.